If you have children at home, you must have had to deal with infectious diseases like chicken pox, measles, typhoid, jaundice, etc. Dealing with a patient suffering from an infectious disease is not easy. Keeping other members of the house safe from the infections is an important aspect of having sick people in the house. This is where environmental cleaning services Dubai come in to help you cope with the cleaning up to prevent the infection from traveling to other people in the house and more specifically from traveling outside the home. Home carers also have to maintain strict hygiene so they do not catch the disease.
Why Keep a Patient at Home
This is a question that is often asked. People might say that it is best to keep the patients of infectious diseases in hospitals or hospice. But it is not so easy all the time to do that. If the patient is not too sick, hospitalization may mean a lot of unnecessary expense and headache. Moreover, patients often do not wish to be in hospitals.
If there is a prolonged illness and the hospitals cannot help much, then too the patient may have to be shifted back home to be amongst the loved ones. Asians anyway have a dread for hospitals and prefer home care rather than hospitalization.
Preventing Infections from Spreading
It is a challenging task to prevent infections from spreading in a home care situation. This requires very diligent cleaning and hygiene routine. An infection can be transmitted only if the following conditions and chain of events occur:
- Presence of disease-bearing germs
- A place where the germs can live and breed
- Way for the germs to get out into the environment
- Transmission of germs
- Way for it to enter a healthy individual
- A compromised host whom the germs can infect
If this chain of events is allowed to complete, then a healthy person can get infected. The best way to contain infections is to break the chain of events at some place and prevent the germs from infecting others. Environmental cleaning services Dubai help you to break the chain.
Hygiene Routine to Prevent Infections
There has to be a proper hygiene routine that the home carer, patient as well as all the members of the family should follow to prevent the spread of infections.
- Washing Hands: this is perhaps, the most important way to prevent infections from spreading. Wash hands often and especially after having touched the patient or anything that may contain their bodily fluids. Even if you wear gloves and protective clothing, you still need to wash you hands properly.
- Wearing a face mask in case the person is suffering from a disease where the germs can spread through the air.
- Clean the patient’s room thoroughly using a strong disinfectant. Clean all the surfaces and floor.
- Keep the patient’s food bowls, plates, glasses, spoons, etc. separate and wash them separately using a strong disinfectant.
- Keep dirty linen separately. Wash these separately in strong disinfectant and dry in the sun.
- Dispose of all the trash in the sick room in a sealed bag. Do not squeeze air out of the trash as you may spread the germs into the air.
- Home carers must maintain personal hygiene. Remove and wash all clothes they wear in hot water after being with the patient. Cover all wounds and scratches when around the patient. Do not touch your ear, nose or mouth before washing your hands thoroughly. Bathe after attending to the patient.
Following these guidelines will help you to prevent the spread of infection. If you wish to hire a maid or look for environmental cleaning services Dubai, contact Not Just a Maid Service.